Southern Baked Mac & Cheese
This ooey gooey, gluten free mac & cheese with a light crunch on top is a classic comfort dish for both adults and children to indulge in. These cheesy noodles + your favorite show on Circle Network = the perfect night in.
- 10 oz gluten-free elbow pasta gluten-free penne pasta can also be used
- 1/4 cup butter optional
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp mustard powder
- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups shredded cheese, divided any variety of cheese can be used
- 2 gluten-free bread slices, toasted and broken into crumbs optional
- 1 tsp butter, softened optional
- 1/2 tsp paprika optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through, but firm to the bite. About 8 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir salt and mustard powder into melted butter and remove saucepan from heat.
- Whisk milk and cornstarch together in a bowl until smooth. Stir into butter mixture until well blended. Return saucepan to stove and cook milk mixture, stirring constantly, over medium heat until sauce is thickened. About 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Stir 3 cups of desired cheese into sauce until heat from sauce melts cheese. Add pasta to cheese sauce and stir well. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Combine remaining 1 cup of cheese, gluten-free bread crumbs, 1 tsp butter, and paprika in a bowl. Sprinkle over pasta mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top is crunchy, about 30 minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!